- Kornikom v Republic of Serbia: Representing an investor in an investment treaty claim (ICSID) under the Bulgaria-Serbia BIT involving allegations of expropriation and improper privatisation relating to a coal mining asset.
- Pugachev v Russian Federation: Representing the Russian Federation in a US$14 billion dollar investment treaty claim commenced by a high-profile “dual-national” individual under the France-Russia BIT (UNCITRAL). Responsible for legal strategy/analysis/pleadings and day-to-day management of a team of associates and trainees in London, Paris and Moscow.
- Bursel Tekstil v Republic of Uzbekistan: Representing the Republic of Uzbekistan in a claim under the Turkey-Uzbekistan BIT (ICSID) in the manufacturing industry.
- Güneş Tekstil v Republic of Uzbekistan: Representing the Republic of Uzbekistan in a claim under the Turkey-Uzbekistan BIT (ICSID) in the consumer goods industry.
- AS PNB Banka v Republic of Latvia: Advising the major shareholder of a bank in a claim against the Republic of Latvia under the Latvia-UK BIT (ICSID) relating to discriminatory application of financial regulations.
- Tullow v Republic of Uganda: Representing an international oil company in two ICSID arbitrations against the Republic of Uganda arising out of tax/finance provisions of a production sharing agreement (in parallel to domestic tax proceedings).
- Representing a consortium of oil majors in a series of high-profile tax and fiscal stabilisation disputes with the Republic of Kazakhstan under the UNCITRAL rules arising out of a production sharing agreement, and negotiating a highly complex US$2 billion settlement agreement in relation to the Karachaganak gas field. Coordinated client engineering, contract and procurement, finance, tax, commercial, compliance (human rights and AML) and environmental teams and managed local counsel, particularly in respect of advice on local tax law and environmental regulations.
- Representing a Ukrainian business conglomerate in the telecommunications industry in a post-M&A dispute under the LCIA rules and related litigation in the English court.
- Representing an international oil consortium in an ad-hoc arbitration with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation relating to changes in tax and petroleum regulations to obtain a final award in excess of US$2 billion.
- Representing the major shareholder of a bank in a post-M&A dispute under the ICC rules with a Russian investor, and subsequent advice relating to an ICSID claim.
- Advising an oil company on enforcement of an arbitral award in a Middle Eastern state.
- Acting for shareholders in a joint-venture dispute under the ICC rules relating to ownership of a refinery, including compelling document production under the Arbitration Act 1996 and obtaining a final award for specific performance.
- Representing the contractor in a dispute regarding construction of a floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) vessel under the LCIA rules.